Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Off Topic - Next UGA President: Jere Morehead?

We're closing in on National Signing Day and all the festivities that surround this day for all of us recruiting hounds. I'm going to take a moment to step aside and shed light on the man who may be the next President of the University we've all grown to love.

For all intents and purposes, it looks (per the AJC) like Dr. Jere Morehead will be the front runner to assume the much maligned position that Dr. Michael Adams leaves vacant. Most people will look down this article for Dr. Morehead's credentials and form their own opinions of whether he's the man fit to be the figurehead of our University. I'll try and shed a little light from my experience.

Dr. Morehead holds a special place in my life. As a member of Phi Gamma Delta during my time at UGA from 2004 - 2008 I was fortunate enough to come into contact with Dr. Morehead on a very frequent basis. He was our Purple Legionnaire which is basically the chapter advisor to a fraternity. I had even more contact via weekly meetings with Dr. Morehead when I served on the cabinet of our chapter during my junior year. Here's what I can tell you...

There's no man more deserving to lead our University. Trying to lead a bunch of 20 year olds who think the world revolves around them and living in basically a big kid's atmosphere and indulgence is no easy task. Dr. Morehead certainly caused some stress in my life. Having to be the voice of reason to a bunch of kids who think they always know what's best can be a daunting task. The greatest testament I can give to this man is that he did this task (for many years even before I arrived) with the utmost class and selflessness in his attitude.

Probably the greatest facet of this man's life is that he chose to devote himself to a bunch of young men despite the challenges he faced with a laundry list of campus involvement. A quick perusal of his credentials, accomplishments, and involvement can't even really shed light on how busy this man really was. It would seem that involving yourself in the stress filled environment that naturally comes with leading a fraternity, especially in today's culture (the Animal House rules don't fly anymore) wouldn't be a welcomed by a man so ingrained in many University positions of prestige. Any blunder by the chapter would certainly reflect poorly on Dr. Morehead. He chose to take these risks and put his neck on the line and trust a bunch of young men.

He always had a selfless and calm attitude in an atmosphere of potential turmoil. He was the voice of reason when it seemed sometimes there wasn't one. My experience with Dr. Morehead is certainly just a sliver, and pales in comparison to some of the greater responsibilities Dr. Morehead faced, but even in these smallest of seemingly minuscule circumstances he devoted himself and his time whole heartedly. Given the changing environment and challenges facing our University, I feel there's truly no man who has the character to take on the responsibility.

If you're worried about athletics and the culture of the Georgia sports programs, let me put your mind at ease. There's not a man more knowledgeable or devoted to our athletic programs or knows more about the ins and outs of leading a successful program. Aside from athletics, the culture at the University of Georgia is changing into one that prides itself more on the enhancement of it's academic reflection. Dr. Morehead has the perfect perspective on continuing to grow our University's academic standing while simultaneously growing our successful athletic momentum, which sometimes we tend to put too much focus on.

At the end of the day, my heart is delighted at the notion that this man may be the one to lead our University into the future. While I only had a small sliver of Dr. Morehead's impact on so many people and growth of the University of Georgia, I know the characteristics of selflessness and reason he displayed during my encounter with him will only serve our school incredibly.

Best of luck if this does indeed come to fruition, and rest assured my trust will be in Dr. Morehead to carry us forward into the future.

1 comment:

  1. I have no clue. It was a thoughtful well written post.

    ReplyDelete